28 April 2007

Favorite Hymns Meme

The Roving Medievalist has exacted a bit of revenge for my tagging him for the Book Meme by tagging me for the Favorite Hymns Meme.

This is no easy task! Sadly, though, I can say that we do not sing too many of them very often at all.

At any rate, here goes, in no particular order (Christmas hymns, of course, are excepted):

1. All People that on Earth Do Dwell

2. Lift High the Cross

3. All Creatures of Our God and King

4. Lord, You Give the Great Commission

5. Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

6. For All the Saints

7. Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven

8. For the Beauty of the Earth

9. What Wondrous Love Is This

10. Where Charity and Love Prevail

Having too many to chose from, I've added five more than requested.

I hereby tag Thom of Ad Dominum, Barb of and my soul shall live for him, Megan of Musings of Faith, and - to find out about the other side of the world - Andrew of Unam Sanctam.
The statue of Saint Cecilia comes from the choir loft of Saint Francis Solanus parish in Quincy, Illinois. She stands in front of the organ pipes, which are painted with an Alpha on the one side and an Omega on the other.

4 comments:

  1. I'm honored, and baffled. Baffled as to who I'm going to find to tag. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:45 PM

    BRAVO!

    Yes, these are true hymns...not songs! There is a difference and most contemporary music ministers have not had the training or experience to realize this fact.

    "Where Charity and Love Prevail" This is a favorite of mine because of its modal flavor. The music was composed by Dom Paul Benoit, O.S.B. of Luxembourg. I had the honor of staying there for three days and playing the organ upon which that music was composed. He also wrote volumes of organ literature based on chant themes and other devotional themes. Sadly...sadly...the few true organists we still have have never been exposed to organ literature of this caliber. Oh well...

    Keep up the good work with your postings. Pax et Bonum!

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Joseph! Will I see you Tuesday?

    ReplyDelete