11 April 2007

The cup of salvation I will take up

This afternoon I happily returned to - what I call - the St. Anthony of Padua Retirement Monastery to celebrate the Holy Mass with the Catholic residents.

I brought with me the chalice I purchased in memory of parents. The residents liked it so much I so I thought I'd post a few pictures of it. It's one of my Roman treasures.


The reliefs on the base of the chalice depict the Nativity, the Finding in the Temple, The Last Supper, and the Garden of Gethesemane.

The reliefs around the cup depict the Crucifixion, the Resurrection, Pentecost, and the Giving of the Keys to St. Peter (complete with the dome of the Basilica in the background).
There is a matching ciborium to go with this chalice. Perhaps one day I will purchase that, as well.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful chalice. And what a wonderful way to honor your parents who would be so proud to have a son who is a priest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:13 PM

    beautiful!
    where did you purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Beautiful!

    A truly fitting vessel for the Blood of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it at Galeria de Arte Sacra, near the Pantheon, along what we called "Liturgical Row."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:03 PM

    That's amazing. I'm so happy to see a young priest with an appreciation for sacred vessels truly fitting for the Sacrifice of the Mass.

    ReplyDelete