10 April 2007

While we're at it...

I found this in the Feehan Memorial Library at the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary. I like it so much I copied it down:

A Curse Against Book Stealers

For him that stealeth a book from this library,
let it change into a serpent in his hand and rend him.
Let him be struck with palsy,
and all his members blasted.
Let him languish in pain crying aloud for mercy,
and let there be no surcease to his agony
till he sink to dissolution.
Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the worm that dieth not,
and when at last he goeth to his final punishment,
let the flames of Hell consume him for ever and aye.

-From the monastery of San Pedro, Barcelona

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to suggest the placement of this in the front of all of our materials here. My boss should be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to think about that for a minute, Thom. I'd forgotten you work in a library!

    I received an e-maail from Fr. Jason; thank you for passing along my greetings so speedily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure if you know of it, but here is another one. It is from the University of Salamanca library:

    Cédula de excomunion

    HAI EXCOMUNION
    RESERVADA A SU SANTIDAD
    CONTRA QUALESQUIERA PERSONAS,
    QUE QUITAREN, DISTRAXEREN, O DE OTRO QUALQUIER MODO
    ENAGENAREN ALGUN LIBRO, PERGAMINO, O PAPEL
    DE ESTA BIBLIOTHECA,
    SIN QUE PUEDAN SER ABSUELTAS
    HASTA QUE ESTA ESTÉ PERFECTAMENTE REINTEGRADA.

    You can see a copy of it here: http://www.portalargentino.net/sarmi/excomu.jpg .

    A possible translation is:

    "His Holiness reserves the right to excommunicate any persons who steal, take, or in any other way remove any book, parchment, or paper from this library, without the possibility of absolution until the above should be completely reinstated."

    ReplyDelete