23 April 2007

A little shopping trip

This evening, prior to dinner at the excellent restaurant Tiramisu - Ristorante Italiano (where I think I will have the rigatonni tognazzi), I popped out to the Quincy Mall (I've no idea why there is a bride on the web site's front page) to find a cd or two by Joshua Bell, having been unable to do so earlier in the week.

Upon entering the mall, I noticed that the floor had been tiled since last I was inside (or at least I had forgotten it otherwise). For the longest time the floor inside the mall was brick, and not an even and level brick mind you. Tripping, stumbling and bumbling along were commonplace, and the racket from strollers, carts, etc. on the bricks was almost intollerable. Having worked in the mall at KB Toys for some seven years I knew this firsthand. The tile is a welcome improvement, though I must say that the brick was more appealing to the eye.

At any rate, after finding two of Bell's cds (Romance of the Violin and Voice of the Violin) I decided to wander through the mall to discover what else had changed. A couple of new clothing stores seem to have appeared, but nothing really of interest to me.

Meandering through the mall I passed Walden Books which, being a very tiny store, usually isn't worth my time. However, a sign outside caught my attention: they were offering 40% off J.R.R. Tolkien's recently released The Children of Hurin! I thought to myself: One hardcover book with beautiful illustrations of obvioius enjoyment...deal!

I happily purchased a copy and when I return from dinner I intend to sit down with the book and listen to the meloldious sound of the violin while I read. I like vacation :)

Incidentally, what I have heard thus far of Romance of the Violin is excellent!

On an entirely unrelated note, if you haven't yet voted for my blog, please do so if you have the mind. I've updated the link at the top of the page to make it even easier for you.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, the truth has benn revealed - after 7 years in KB toys listening to children whining, you chose the priesthood over fatherhood! Only kidding! You must have some good "war" stories from your experiences there.

    Glad to hear that you are enjoying your vacation and getting to do some things that you don't usually get time to do. That's what a vacation is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ellen, I learned a great deal in my years in retail (and in the circulation department of the newspaper) about human nature.

    I think that there are several jobs that everyone should be required to work at least once in their life, if only for a day: retail, circulation, paper carrier, and fast food. If each of us did these just once, it might improve our patience and understanding.

    At the same time, though, they might give us a very depressing view of humanity. I have very fond memories indeed of my days in the toy store. The employees of the store were really a sort of family and were very good friends. I miss them very much.

    At the same time, I don't especially miss working with "the public." "The public" is frightening, really.

    My little mini-vacation comes to an end tomorrow after lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. For several years, I ran a pet shop for a friend. Always said that I had to deal with barking, whining, screaming, and snapping every day. With the customers being like that the animals were easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:03 PM

    Try bartending.

    ReplyDelete