18 April 2007

The favorite Saints meme

I've been tagged for a meme by the Roving Medievalist!
For those like myself who had no idea really what a "meme" was/is, a meme (pronounced meem) is, according to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth edition, "a unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another."

Those tagged for this meme will list their four favorite saints, their one favorite blessed, and one person they think should have been a saint. Simple, really. Here are mine:
Saint Francis of Assisi (ca. 1181-1226). There is something about il Poverello that draws me to him and I cannot resist. He is a captivating soul.

Saint Thomas More (1478-1535). His letters and writings are simply superb. He is a noble soul.
Saint Clare of Assisi (1194-1253). She is quite a woman. If you haven't her Life by Thomas of Celano, do so; you won't regret it. She is a striking soul (and in a good way).

Saint Augustine (354-430). I almost chose St. Bonaventure here, but I didn't want to choose only Franciscans. At the same time, why wouldn't you choose him? He is an intellectually prayerful soul.
Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha (1656-1680). Her simple love of the Cross is most moving. She is a beautiful soul.

Now, who would I like to see raised to the dignity of the altars? Rich Mullins (1955-1997). A contemporary Christian singer and song writer, he died in an automobile accident on his way to a concert only days before he was to be received into the Catholic Church on the feast of St. Francis of Assisi. I highly recommend his music for its depth of faith and focus on Christ. He is a lovable soul.

Now, then, to tag four people. I do hereby tag:

Benjamin Sember - A deacon in Rome of the Diocese of Green Bay who rarely updates his blog.

Ellen - A kind reader of my blog and fine commentor.

Sr. Eva Maria - She's taking a bit of a "sabbatical" from her blog, but this might draw her back.

His Holiness, Benedict XVI - I know he won't do it, but wouldn't it be awesome if he did?!

8 comments:

  1. It would be awesome, but don't get your hopes up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:37 AM

    Okay, these are currently my favorite saints: Mary, the Blessed Mother; Benedict; Augustine; Jude (although I haven't prayed to him in a while). Who's my favorite Blessed? Good question. I'm not sure who's on the list these days besides Mother Theresa, so I'm going to go with her. I will say that my favorite Venerable is Solanus Casey. His example of simple joy and humility is such an inspiration for me, 'cuz I tend to overthink and complicate things waaaaay too much. And for my saint-to-be, I vote for Thomas Merton. And even though he's still alive, Benedict Groeschel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that Rich Mullins was to become a Catholic. I'm going to re-visit his music now, listening very differently than I ever did.

    Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the "tag." I don't know if any one will see my choices (except maybe you), but I had fun putting my list together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good idea, Thom. Rich's music is subtley very profound.

    Ellen, I bet the other readers of the blog will have a look. They're nice taht way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly did and added Ellen to my links. Anyone whose son chooses St. John Neumann as a confirmation patron is obviously doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeffrey - thanks for adding me to your list. And thanks for the nice words about our son. We think he's a great kid.

    Fr. Daren - You do have nice readers, but that's because you have a great blog that is worth reading.

    ReplyDelete