19 May 2009

A very strange sight

After anointing an elderly gentlemen this afternoon - for whom I ask your prayers - I went to Decatur to join a few of the members of the track team who were participating in the Decatur Area Best (or something like that) meet.

Three of the boys rode home in my car and as we drove through Sullivan we stopped at the local Subway. One of the guys insisted on the drive-thru, causing I to find what may well be the strangest drive-thru in the United States.

If this is your typical fast food restaurant,

_____
--------
you would enter the drive-thru on the right of the building (as we see it), drive around the back and exist from the left of the building. Such a set-up allows the driver to both place the order and pay through the driver's window. Not so this Subway.
We realized the drive-thru was backward after I drove toward following the usual convention. After turning around, we entered the drive-thru from the left of the building and I placed our order through my window.
It wasn't until I began to pull forward that I thought, "Wait a minute. How am I going to pay?" You see, we'd already driven through that way.
On the right side of the building a sliding door was cut into the wall from which the cashier exited the building to collect our payment and pass our order through the passenger's window. It was weird, almost surreal.
The cashier admitted it was a bit backward. The drive-thru is also open in the winter; I hope they have several parkas in reserve!

No comments:

Post a Comment