25 May 2009

We want to make Father comfortable in his home

The meeting with some of the lay leaders of the parishes that I will soon pastor went very well, I think.

Guided by the Chancellor of the Diocese, those in attendance where placed into several small groups after hearing the current and projected situation of the Diocese in terms of priests and parishes. There are currently 131 parishes served by 80 Diocesan priests and 11 Order priests, some of them are serving beyond "retirement age," as Fr. Sperl has done.

The small groups were composed of members of each of the two parishes and were asked to consider the following questions:
  1. What is important to know about the history of your parish and what makes your parish unique?
  2. Are there any special customs, traditions, or significant annual events in your parish?
  3. How can the parishioners help Fr. Zehnle in his ministry as pastor to Sacred Heart and St. Patrick parishes?
  4. Do you feel that both parishes can work together to form a pastoral unit?
  5. What ministries/services could be shared between the two parishes?

Their thoughts will certainly be of help to me in the years to come and I thank them for their insights.

Since I had the early morning Mass the next day, I wasn't able to stay after the meeting to visit with them, though I would have likd to do so.

A line from all of their responses struck me more than any other: "We want to make Father comfortable in his home." Naturally, this pleases me because the rectory will need a bit of work.

I think I will receive a very warm welcome we I arrive as their Pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment