15 May 2009

The last day of classes

Being the last day of classes before final exams are taken Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, today was an eventful day at the high school.

The morning was somewhat quiet as the students finished the last of their classes for the morning. I was in the office with the intent of working on a bit of paperwork but was distracted by many other things.

Among them was the student newspaper, The Bulldog Bark. One of the students penned a very touching letter written on the occasion of my coming transfer. (I thought I had the newspaper here in my suite, but I can’t seem to find it. Once I do, I’ll post the letter for you).

After filling the candy bowl with sour balls, one of the students realized he was a bit too hyper to return to his study hall so we played a game of chess. I didn’t think he would be a great chess player so I took it a bit easy in the first several moves and was distracted by other students in the middle of the game. He played a good game and, in the end, won.

Once the morning classes ended the students had a cookout with hamburgers and hotdogs. As the food was cooked I hung around the grill and took a few pictures to give to the yearbook.

During lunch the girl’s volleyball team challenged the boys’ soccer team to a game of volleyball. The boys enthusiastically accepted the challenge and played two very entertaining matches, but only after two of our students played their guitars and sang a few songs for their fellow students. The girls won one of the matches and the boys won the other.

The Pastor celebrated Mass for the students and dismissed them for the day an hour earlier than usual.

I then joined a few of the boys for a game of frolf (Frisbee golf). I hadn’t been frolfing in quite a few years. In fact, when last I went I’m not sure if there were specialized discs as there are now. Since the day as warm and very humid I went in sandals, which I don’t recommend. Their very comfortable sandals (I bought them in Hawaii) but they aren’t very helpful for climbing hills. Or walking along dirt trails downhill in the wood. At one I slipped and slid down a hill on my bottom. It was a little embarrassing but no real harm was done.

The boys said I played well for my first time really playing. They might have just been kind, but I did enjoy the game and I’m thinking about buying a frolf disc, though I think I’ll have to do a bit of research before choosing a disc.

In the evening I joined a family for a dinner of delicious lasagna in their home. After the meal I blessed their home and joined for an enjoyable game of dominoes (Spanish train, I think was the name).

I’ve just returned a brief appearance at our boys’ baseball game in the city. I arrived just in time to see the end of the game, feel a couple of raindrops and visit briefly with a few parishioners.

From the sounds I hear coming through my open windows, a storm has arrived in Effingham. I hope it will hit quickly and well, driving away the humidity.

Tomorrow we have a track meet in Shelbyville, about thirty minutes away. It’s been a good day, but now it’s time to find the newspaper and then work on Sunday’s homily.

No comments:

Post a Comment