08 August 2007

The assistant soccer coach?

Yesterday afternoon our athletic director asked me to be the assistant soccer coach this year. He said my duties would be minimal, which is good since I know very little about soccer. He also said that I could come to practices when I wanted, knowing that the games are already on my calendar (barring anything more urgent coming along).

He tried to tell me the perks of the position (sitting on the bench with the team, traveling with the team, etc.) and I reminded him that I did all of that last year. He said this was all the more reason to take the post.

I told him I would think about it and he then began introducing me as the assistant coach (he's a bit of trouble maker, but a lot of fun).

Two of the senior players, one junior player and two freshmen players seem to think it's a good idea, as do the parents.

The jury's still out on this one, but I expect I will accept.

10 comments:

  1. You forgot the all important sitting on the bench in the rain since soccer is played rain or shine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, I hadn't thought about that. I guess I'll keep a large umbrella with the equipment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:18 PM

    Come on, Father. You know you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you made a decision? Do we call you Coach, Father or Father Coach?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have decided to accept the offer, though I think I'll simply be called "Father."

    Bishop Lucas was at the parish this afternoon for a meeting. I told him the team thought they would be more intimidating with me as the coach (I'm not so sure I agree). His Excellency told me - jokingly I'm sure, but that's beside the point - that they might be if I wore my cape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cape with cleats and a biretta with "Coach" on it- now that would be an intimidating combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The biretta doesn't block out the sun. I've ordered a capello romano (a Roman hat).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:10 AM

    Please post pictures! (of you in your soccer get-up, not just the hat)

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I'll have to get soccer gear, first. No word yet on whether the hat has shipped or not.

    ReplyDelete