03 October 2008

From Father Damien

One of the many books that I am currently reading - I have to read several at a time - is the Life and Letters of Father Damien: The Apostle of the Lepers compiled and edited by his brother, Father Pamphile.

Blessed Damien's first letter written on the island of Moloka'i was sent to his brother on November 25th, 1873. In it, he writes:

Don't send me any more intentions for Masses. I have more than I can manage. It is well known that we [missionaries] do everything gratis. But our good Master knows how to repay us. Or rather He has already repaid us. If our Lord were to ask me: Quando misi vos sine sacculo et pera et calceamentis, numquid aliquid defuit vobis? - "When I sent you without purse, or scrip, or shoes, was anything wanting to you?" I should certainly have to reply, Nihil, Domine. In fact, after leaving all I had at Kohala for Father Fabian, I came here without anything. I have not a penny of income, yet nihil mihi deest, I want for nothing. I have even alms to give away. How is this to be explained? That is His secret, Who promised to give a hundred-fold to those who gave up all for Him.

Just a little something to consider for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment