26 October 2008

A quick trip

After spending a hilarious evening Friday with very dear friends whom I get to see far too seldom I returned to Effingham earlier than planned last evening.

Some of the members of the former Tuesday Night Supper Club gathered for pizza and a game of Apples to Apples. I never laugh as much as when I am with this group. I’m very grateful that we were able to get together with a only a few hours notice.

There were many good pairings in the game, but my favorite by far was began with the adjective, “Stunning: astonishing, staggering, astounding.” Since it was my turn I chose the best answer: the electric chair. There were other witty and sarcastic – and a few obvious and boring – pairings, but I cannot recall them now.

I met my brother for lunch at the Maid Rite (a necessary stop on any return to Quincy) during which time my hip began to swell considerably and rather quickly, followed soon after by my knee. I knew something was up with the weather.

After consulting a number of forecasts I made the difficult decision to return to Effingham twenty-four hours earlier than planned. In doing so I knew that the four hour drive Saturday might not be the easiest drive, but that it would be less painful and less difficult than the drive on Sunday.

Leaving early meant that I would not be able to visit my grandma, aunt and uncle; I would not be able to visit the graves of my parents; and I would not be able to buy give or ten pounds of sour balls.

It turns out I made the right decision. By the time I reached Barry, Illinois – some thirty minutes east of Quincy – the swelling was gone, as was the pain. I successfully drove ahead of a front, which has now caught up with me today.

My hips and knees are swelling now, but I am hopeful the weather will change during the night while I’m sleeping.

Returning early afforded me the opportunity to visit briefly with two of our Diocesan seminarians who are studying at Conception Seminary College. One of them is my Pastor’s nephew and the other graduated from our high school last year. Please keep them in your prayers. They’ll be back at Thanksgiving, but I’ll be in back in Quincy then.

No comments:

Post a Comment