14 October 2008

Podcast update

This evening I received the happy news from the Quincy Early Music Consort granting me permission to use their music in my podcast.

The Quincy Early Music Consort is a small group of musicians who play early and medieval music on replica instruments. I greatly enjoy their music.

When plans were being made for my ordination to the priesthood I asked the Consort to play during the dinner at the reception following my Solemn Mass of Thanksgiving at my home parish. They accepted, and I was delighted.

I expected them to play for an hour or so, but they ended up playing for twice as long as our agreed upon time, and without additional fees (I did pay them extra in gratitude). They provided noble and quiet music in the background throughout the dinner and people were able both to enjoy the music and to carry on their conversations at one and the same time. This is an aspect sadly lost at receptions today; the music tends to either be too loud or too soft.

When the Consort finished playing at the reception and - without announcement or fanfare - quietly stood up to sneak away, my family and friends noticed and were apparently saddened. With no encouragement, those present rose and gave the Consort a standing ovation. I was again delighted.

Here is a picture of the three who were able to play that happy day:

No comments:

Post a Comment