21 May 2009

Two prayer requests for the day

Today should be an interesting day and a good one.

The sun is already brightly shining and the weather promises to be as beautiful as yesterday, when the blue sky, the bright sun and the gorgeous temperatures (without much humidity) reminded me of Hawaii.

After Mass this moring the parish staff had a meeting. They are never the most exciting moment of the day, but a necessary gathering, I suppose, to communicate schedules. In a few minutes I will return to the office to look at the summer Mass schedule and try to see that all is in order.

Later this morning I will meet with a young man who is asking many excellent and deep questions and who is searching for the Lord. Please pray the Holy Spirit to guide my thoughts and words with him.

One of our high school students is having a cookout at his house today and he's invited a number of his classmates, a couple of teachers and your humble scribe. I'm told he'll be serving hamburgers and hotdogs and - most importantly - blackberry cobbler. I'll almost never pass up a cobbler, especially if it is made with berries. Raspberries are my favorite. Does any make a cobbler with raspberries? I'm not sure if I've heard of one. Raspberry gelato is the best! How's that for a little ramble?

For some weeks now the Chancellor of the Diocese has been planning to meet this evening with some of the lay leaders of the two parishes of which I will be Pastor to talk about forming a "pastoral unit." As I understand it, this means two parishes that remain individual parishes but who share a Pastor. The lay leaders will be asked to look and see how the two parishes might work together to assist the ministry of the Pastor.

I will attend this meeting together with their Parochial Administrator. The Chancellor is most excited about the meeting because she loves seeing the moment when parishioners meet their new pastor for the first time. This afternoon I will have to come up with a few words of greeting. Please keep this meeting in your prayers, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment