31 August 2014

Investigation into Tolton's life has concluded

As I sorted through the mail that accumulated for me during my recent vacation in Hawaii, I found an invitation that brought much joy to my heart.

His Excellency the Most Reverend Joseph N. Perry, Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago and Diocesan Postulator of the Cause for the Beatification and Canonization of the Servant of God Father Augustus Tolton, has announced the completion of the formal investigation into the life and virtues of Quincy's first citizen.

In just a few weeks' time the various documents relating to the Cause will be bound and sealed in a special ceremony in the presence of His Eminence Francis Cardinal George, O.M.I., before being sent to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.

Because I have been invited to attend and because I will be free the day of the ceremony - as well as the days before and after - I am very tempted to return from Rome to witness the sealing of the documents. Having been present at the first canonical trial for his Cause, it would seem a shame to miss this important event.

No comments:

Post a Comment