15 September 2007

Homily - 16 September 2007

I've not had much success finding time to put pen to paper this week to write the homily for the weekend Mass. It isn't that I haven't had time to prepare a homily, just that I haven't been able to set it forth and just as I should like it. If you want to know what I'll be preaching just a look at Pope Benedict XVI's Jesus of Nazareth.

He has an excellent reflection on the parable of the prodigal son, or - as he suggests - that of the two sons, on pages 202-211. The precise part that I will use in the morning - by God's grace I only have one Mass tomorrow, which is quite uncommon - will largely depend on the strength of my voice.

The class that I taught in Springfield today went very well, I think. I was able to teach through 3:14, only 45 minutes earlier than the scheduled ending. I was not able to do all that I had hoped - that was, admittedly, most ambitious - but we did have a few very good discussions. I enjoyed the experience and hope I'll be asked to have a go at another class or two. Having said that, my voice is stretched, my body is sore, and my mind is tired. But, as they say, there is no rest for the weary.

There is in the morning an ecumenical prayer service of sorts that is held annually in Shumway. This year I seem to have been placed in charge of it with another church providing the music. I'm simply going to follow that order set forth in the Book of Blessings. I am about to begin work on that homily. Once the homily is finished, I'm off to bed.

Tomorrow after the prayer service I'll be able to get a bit of rest until the evening when our Dead Theologians Society meets.

Sometime tomorrow, though, I'll have to start packing and taking care of paper work before leaving for our weeklong clergy convocation that begins Monday afternoon. At this rate I'm never going to get healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment