Recently Pope Benedict XVI held up the example of Saint Catherine of Bologna (1413-1463) and made mention of the seven spiritual weapons she wrote of to combat the devil:
- always to be careful and diligently strive to do good
- to believe that alone we will never be able to do something truly good
- to trust in God and, for love of him, never to fear in the battle against evil, either in the world or within ourselves
- to meditate often on the events and words of the life of Jesus, and especially on his Passion and his death
- to remember that we must die
- to focus our minds firmly on memory of the goods of Heaven
- to be familiar with Sacred Scripture, always cherishing it in our hearts so that it may give direction to all our thoughts and all our actions.