28 January 2011

Life of Pakistan's Minister for Religious Minorities, himself a Catholic, threatened

From Catholic Culture, with my emphases:

Terrorist groups in Pakistan are plotting the assassination of Shahbaz Bhatti, the federal government’s minister for religious minorities, the Fides news service reports.

Bhatti, a Catholic, is the target of Islamic militants because of he supports a change in the nation’s blasphemy law. One Islamic militant group pronounced a “death sentence” on the government official last year. Now police sources say that active planning for Bhatti’s assassination is underway.

“Pray for me and for my life,” Bhatti asked Fides, tacitly acknowledging the reality of the threat. “I can not not and will not go back on this commitment. I will fight fanaticism and fight in defense of Christians to the death.”

No comments:

Post a Comment