07 December 2010

Holy Goalie now Assistant Coach

When I served as Parochial Vicar at St. Anthony of Padua Parish in Effingham some of my best ministry was done in what might be considered some of the most unlikely of places: on the soccer field, the track field and at wrestling practices, to which teams I served as Assistant Coach (albeit in name only).

The questions from the kids flowed freely and they happily (sometimes) listened to my answers and energetically (always) debated with me. It was an easy way to provide counseling, a bit of spiritual direction and good catechesis at times and in places when they were open and bored.

Yesterday I learned that His Excellency the Most Reverend Thomas John Paprocki is serving as the Assistant Coach to the hockey team of Sacred Heart Griffin High School in Springfield, working most closely with the goalie; the bishop himself is known as the Holy Goalie. I hope his time with the hockey team will be as fruitful and rewarding as my time was with the track and wrestling teams, and especially the soccer team.

WICS ABC News Channel 2 has the story (with video).

No comments:

Post a Comment