24 October 2015

The ukulele makes people happy, even on Monday mornings on the subway

It's true that I happen to know the right people in some of the right places in the world (like Hawaii), but I'm usually not in the right places at the right time where something fun happens, like a man pulling out his ukulele to play a song on the morning subway commute:


I wish I had been there; those passengers needed a little help singing Israel Kamakawiwoʻole version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." His is the most beautiful rendition of the song and I know it well.

Jake Shimabukuro, the world renowned virtuoso on the ukulele, is fond of saying that "If everyone played the ukulele, the world would be a better place." I think he's right. Incidentally, Jake just released a new album, Travels. It's a good album especially suited to long walks.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I noticed travels has hi'ilawe on it.
    My FAVORITE Hawaiian song.
    Puts me into the aloha state of mind without fail.

    ReplyDelete