09 June 2010

A little update

I thought I might take a short break in what is already a hectic week to give you a little personal update while my puppy plays outside.

As you can surely imagine, the are many preparations and decisions yet to be made as I prepare to assume the pastorate of Holy Cross Parish seven miles of Virden, while remaining the pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in Virden and of St. Patrick Parish in Girard, four miles south of Virden.

Monday was spent as a day largely on the telephone as I tried to arrange several meetings this week, most of which were dependant on the scheduling of one other meeting. I also celebrated Mass at one of the nursing homes and joined a family at their home for a lunch, which proved to be a welcome break before returning to the rectory for an appointment and a return to the telephones.

Tuesday found me at a couple of appointments and working on the parish bulletin and a couple of programs for our celebration in Virden of the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart, our patronal feast (we requested and received permission to transfer the feast). We will begin our observe of the Solemnity with Morning Prayer at 8:00 a.m., which will follow with exposition of the Blessed Sacrament until Benediction at 4:45 p.m. Confessions will be heard at 5:00 p.m. and Mass will be celebrated at 5:30 p.m. Following the Mass a pot luck dinner will be held.

Last night I attended a meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Caruso Sperl Trust that helps provide Catholic education for students in the area. I am a member of the Board by virtue of my office as Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish. The Trust does very good work, but such meetings tied up as they are with financial and legal matters bore me to no end; it didn't help that I haven't slept a great deal over the past several days, either. My fellow trustees were patient with me and I am grateful for their good work.

This morning after Mass I gave a live interview to Gus from "Seize the Day" on The Catholic Channel on Sirius XM satellite radio; it went well, I think.

After the interview I played with my puppy for a bit before attending to a bit of paperwork. I met this morning with the Diocesan Chancellor regarding the Pastoral Unit that is to be formed of the parishes in Auburn, Girard and Virden; our conversation was encouraging and helped to clarify several matters which were quite fuzzy to me.

In a few minutes I will leave for Springfield to do anointings at one of the hospitals before I celebrate Mass there at 4:05 p.m. Following the Mass I will head to one of the funeral homes for the Vigil Service for a woman who was a parishioner here many years ago and who will be buried tomorrow in the local cemetery. Afterwards I hope to go for a swim before meeting with the youth group in Auburn - Active Catholic Teens - for a bit before returning to my bed in Virden.

It's been a busy week so far and mentally I am about worn out. Tomorrow looks to be about as busy as today, but Friday looks most empty and I intend to keep it that way.

1 comment:

  1. Prayers from here, for your Father.
    Just live in the present moment and trust in Jesus.
    It will all work out.