13 August 2009

Seeing the heavens...and growing old

When I was in high school I was a member of the Quincy Astronomical Society, which, sadly, is no longer is existence. The QAS met on a monthly basis to discuss various aspects of astronomy. One of my favorite presentations was on meteorites (including a member's special collection of them); my favorite memory took place August 11 (probably in 1995) just outside of Quincy on Friends' Hill.

Every August 11 and 12, star-gazers can watch the brilliant Perseid meteor shower, also known as the tears of St. Lawrence.

We spent the night laying on the grass gazing heavenward watching several meteors shoot across the sky at a time. If you've never seen the Perseids, you really must make a point to watch the shower next year.

At one point there was a bright flash of light behind us, as it were. We quickly turned around in time to see a huge ball of fire shoot across the heavens. The tail of the meteor lasted several minutes and was a long as the distance between the tip of your thumb and index finger; it was simply amazing and the sight remains with me to this day as one of the most beautiful things I have seen.

Last night I went out to our mission church and watched a bit of the meteor shower behind the church. I haven't really looked into the heavens since I was last in Hawaii when I spied the Southern Cross. Whenever I look into the night sky I always call to mind the words of King David: "When I see the heavens, the work of your hands, the moon and the stars which you arranged, what is man that you should keep him in mind, mortal man that you care for him" (Psalm 8:4-5)?

If you've never meditated upon this verse while looking into the stars, you really should, and the sooner the better. If you have access to a boat, I especially recommend doing so from the middle of a body of water.

As I lay on the ground last night with slightly chilly toes, one of the high school studens who was watching the meteor shower texted back and forth. I mentioned that big ball of fire I saw when I was his age and I said it felt something like I was waiting for the Great Pumpkin (it seems to be on my mind lately; I'll suppose I'll have to watch it soon).

Imagine my utter shock when he had no idea what the Great Pumpkin is! Parents, it's time to show your children the classics! Old I must be growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment