19 August 2009

A long morning

For whatever reason, I have been awake since 3:00 a.m. I don't know why; I simply woke, and once I do there is rarely any sense in my trying to fall asleep again. So I did what any sane person would: bake.

Today is the first day of school at both our grade and high schools, thought it is only a halfday.

At 4:00 p.m., the soccer team from Eastern Illinois University will play a pre-season match here in Effingham in honor of Coach K, who died early this summer. The soccer team will be in attendance and will attend Mass afterwards to kick-off the new academic year.

In a spirit of festivity, the boys decided that we should tailgate before the game. This idea being agreed upon by all with little discussion, we will gather about 1:30 for an afternoon of fun and food and, no doubt, a few games. Coach K, I think, would want it this way.

At any rate, I told the boys yesterday that if I got ambitious this morning I would bake St. Francis' favorite cookies for them. I suppose that might well be why I awoke so early.

I baked two batches using two different recipes. They both turned out a bit dry, though they still taste good; it's nothing a bit of milk can't fix!

Having been up so long now you'd think I'd be able to make decisions, but I can't, it seems. I can't decide whether I want to wear my suit or cassock today. Oh, the tough choices of life!

Once I decide, I'll head to the high school to greet the students and meet with a class or two. I'll also spend time in the office sorting through my mail and writing notes of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment