To many in Springfield the report is baffling, since the cities one typically associates with violence didn't make the top five cities on the list.
Having lived in Springfield now for ten months, I don't feel unsafe here and on hand I, too, find the report baffling. But after seeing it, I have noticed stories of violence in Springfield more than I did before.
Consider these stories from the State Journal-Register over the past 2 days:
- Man allegely punches, bites girlfriend
- Man attacks fiancee [sic]
- Shot fired in Steak N Shake robbery attempt
- Man allegedly burns woman
- Three arrested outside bar
- Two arrested in alleged car theft
- Three arrested at Lanphier
- Man robbed of money bag at gun point
Maybe Springfield is a violent city.