11 October 2009

Sainted

This morning Pope Benedict XVI declared Joseph Damien de Vuester, SS.CC among the Saints and worthy of veneration and imitation by all of the faithful throughout the world, together with Zygmunt Szczesny Felinski, Francisco Coll y Guitart, Rafael Arnaiz Baron and Marie de la Croix (Jeanne Jugan).

I made my way to the Basilica of St. Peter and arrived there about 7:00 a.m., knowing the "doors" where not scheduled to open until 8:00 a.m.

As I wandered around the outside of the piazza I found a group of the pilgrims from Hawaii which included Fr. Gary Secor, whom I met on my first visit to the islands at the celebration of Father Damien's feastday at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace. I visited with him and some of the Hawaiian entourage until the Square opened sometime after 8:15 a.m.
Prior to the letting in of the pilgrims, we shared stories, caught up, watched other pilgrim groups walking trying to determine their countries and the Hawaiians sang several beautiful chants to Damien (I hope they'll make a cd!).

Life in Italy is never boring, to be sure. The Mass of Canonization was expected to be celebrated in the Square itself, but as the faithful were let into the piazza they were quickly hurried inside the basilica, despite the sunny skies and warm temperatures (not to mention the preparations already done). Because the basilica does not hold as many people as the piazza, many pilgrims remained outside for the duration of the Mass.

Once I entered the basilica, I presented my blue ticket and made my way to the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament to receive a surplice and stole. The priests and deacons who would distribute Holy Communion gathered in the chapel to prepare and receive instructions in various languages. Around 9:30 a.m. we were led from the chapel to our places in the sanctuary, less than one hundred feet behind the altar.

At first thought the seats were great, but as the Holy Father sat on the opposite side of the altar and we could see precious little of the actual canonization. Even so, my heart filled with great joy as Pope Benedict XVI pronounced Damien and the others saints.
The seats were next to those for the choir, which provided a close-up look of the direction of the choir. I watched the organized move his fingers along the keys in practice at various times throughout the Mass.

Durning the Creed, ciboria filled with hosts were passed from priest to priest and we were led to the right of the altar at the preparation of the gifts for the Eucharisitic Prayer. I stood not more than thiry-five from the Holy Father!

I was particularly struck by the purposefulness with which he celebrates the Mass, seemingly oblivious to anything else at all. His focus is entirely on the Lord, which is where it should be for every priest. It was moving to watch him so closely.
During the Agnus Dei, the priests and deacons with ciboria were led throughout the basilica and into the piazza to distribute Holy Communion to the faithful. I stayed inside the basilica.
Once the Eucharist was distributed, we returned the Blessed Sacrament Chapel and, our service having been fulfilled, returned our stoles and surplices.
We were allowed to move toward the altar and I was able to take these pictures at the end of the Mass:

The Holy Father left the basilica to pray the Angelus with the faithful gathered in the Square. Those of us who were in the basilica were not allowed to leave until after the Angelus.

After some time in the basilica were ushered quickly out, which seemed odd given that only a moment before we were required to remain.

As I left the basilica, I saw the piazza flooded with pilgrims:

It was a beautiful experience and I am immensely grateful for the privilege of being here for it.

Saint Damien of Molokai, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment