29 October 2009

A day and a half

After spending yesterday morning taking out the trash, I went to the fitness club I recently joined for my initial visit with a trainer to see how healthy I am and to discuss my fitness goals (which basically consist of keeping my arthritis at bay as long as possible).

I wasn't particularly looking forward to the appointment because I knew I was to be subjected to several tests, which I presumed would be unpleasant at the least. My expectations were, I'm happy to say, quite unfounded.

The trainer, Max, was very friendly and did not torture me at all. The tests were simple and I made an appointment to go through the results with him today and to show me around the equipment and offer a plan to strengthen my joints without putting too much stress on them.

Last evening, I went trick-or-treating for canned goods with the high school PSR students (all two of them last night) at St. Patrick's in Girard. It's seems most of the high school students were sick but we did well enough with our collecting, nonetheless.

This morning my secretary and I worked for a good length of time on the bulletin for the two parishes, trying to find a better way to organize the information. She had been doing part of the bulletin and I did another part of the bulletin, without using the same template or format or communicating with each other, really. When we were both finished, we combined our sections together. We both realized how inefficient this process was and that it wasn't working very well.

After getting everything in order I thought I saved the file to my flashdrive, but when I went downstairs to show her, I discovered I must not have saved it and so I started all over. The whole process took a good three hours. Oops.

There is still some work to be done, but it looks much improved over the last couple of weeks. One small step at a time.

I'm not sure if it's stopped raining for more than fifteen minutes today. My knees have been lightly throbbing all day because of it, so I rescheduled my appointment with the trainer for tomorrow afternoon. My knees smply did not want to go outside, much less sit in a car, and past experience has told me exercising on such a day is just unwise. Hopefully tomorrow will be less rainy.

Instead, I spent the afternoon in the rectory sorting through papers and working on the initial set up of a filing system for papers relating to the two parishes. It's getting there. Again, one small step at a time.

This evening I began work for a Kairos retreat I will be on in a little over a week. I've given this talk before, but it's always good to give it a fresh look and revise. This time I decided to start from scratch and am happy with the progress I've made.

I know I've neglected a good deal of correspondence over the last couple of days. I'm sorry, and I promise I will attend to it in the morning.

For the time being I'm going to read a book and go to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment