22 October 2009

Meetings, meetings, and more meetings

The Pastor of a parish is responsible for a great many things, most of them spiritual and liturgical. The Pastor shares in the ministry of Christ the High Priest in his functions of teaching, sanctifying and governing in the name of the Bishop. Within the governing function is the care and administration of the parish's temporal goods.

Yesterday the Offices for Finance and Insurance hosted a few of the new pastors to discuss these issues. The scheduled four-hour meeting (including a lunch break) turned into a nearly five-hour meeting (working through lunch).

I learned I have much to do here and to set in order. My secretary and I will be devising a filing system and setting to work, a very daunting task. We will certainly be calling upon these offices frequently in the coming weeks.

After these meetings, I met with the Diocesan webmaster who will soon be developing a new web site for the parishes here, once I answer his five-page questionnaire.

Last evening I met for the first time with the high school PSR students down in Girard and spoke very briefly with them about the Saints. I will be teaching their class most Wednesday evenings and used last night really as a time simply to chat. I'm looking forward to working with the group.

Today I have been invited to attend the meeting of the Catholic Medical Association in Springfield. I had planned to do so but the rain that has yet to fall is claiming hold of my hips, making sitting for long periods of time most uncomfortable. So today I think I will begin the process of organizing paper work, and perhaps attend the convention tomorrow and/or Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment