02 February 2007

Silly people, silly questions

Yesterday we celebrated an "all school Mass" in the high school gym in honor of Catholic Schools Week. It has been the custom for my parish, St. Anthony of Padua, which has both a grade school and a high school, to host Sacred Heart grade school, St. Michael grade school, and St. Thomas grade school for the Mass.

As you can imagine the gym was packed for the Mass - we could never fit within the church - and many parents and grandparents participate in the Mass, as well. In addition to the students, teachers and parents were the Pastors of the parishes and yours truly, the lone Parochial Vicar.

Concelebrating with the priests of our deanery always makes me ponder my future. The ages of the priests who concelebrated are: 82, 69, 58, 47 and 42. There I stood not only as the youngest priest present but also as the youngest priest in the Diocese at a whopping 28.

The pastor of St. Thomas school told me after the Mass that one of the teachers from his school asked him: "Is the young priest who was on the end old enough to drive?" I'm guessing the contacts makes me look even younger...

No comments:

Post a Comment