16 January 2010

Prayers requested

Last evening I returned to the Gem City to serve as the Spiritual Director for Great River Teens Encounter Christ #263. For this weekend I humbly ask your prayers and assure of your remembrance in my prayers this weekend.

Today is the memorial of Saint Berard and Companions, the first sons of Saint Francis of Assisi to receive the grace of martyrdom in the year of our Lord 122o.

When the relics of these five Friars Minor were received at the Monastary of Coimbra, the future Saint Anthony of Padua resolved to enter the new Order and travel to Morocco to receive the crown of martyrdom with these holy men. Providence, though, had other plans for the Evangelic Doctor.

My great-uncle, Father Berard Zehnle, O.F.M., is named for today's saint. Since he is buried in Quincy just a block away from where I am staying in my old dorm I walked to the cemetery to pray at his grave. May he rest in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment