15 June 2008

An unusual sighting

After last year's senior class retreat, I drove two of the seniors back to Effingham to prepare for the arrival of the rest of the class.

One the way back, I looked off to the right of the highway and saw what I didn't expect to see: several buffalo grazing in a field.

(We have at least two buffalo in Quincy at the Illinois Veterans Home, but I hadn't seen other buffalo before. We also emu and we even had a zebra once.)

I turned to the senior in the passenger to verify what I saw. The conversation went thus:

Me: N., were those buffalo?

N.: I think so. They're kinda of like unicorns; you don't see them very often.
I responded with a confused look, thereby ending that odd and brief conversation.

It now seems, though, that this student may well have been right. A one-horned deer is wandering around in northern Italy; apparently he isn't the first of his kind, though they are rare.

This seems like a good night to watch that animated classic, The Last Unicorn.
Photo credit: AP Photo/Center of Natural Sciences, ho

No comments:

Post a Comment