26 June 2008

Attention parishioners

In preparation for this coming weekend's celebration of the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul and the beginning of the Pauline Year, I have been looking at the statues of the two Apostles above the doors to our church.

You might not have noticed them before; many haven't. I encourage to take a moment to look at the them the next time you're by the church.

Now, I need your help. I know that the two statues were placed above the doors in August of 1893, but there is a further question that I have.

Since I first came to this parish some five years ago I've often wondered if Saint Paul originally had his hand resting upon a sword. Actually, I'm certain that he did, but I can't find a photograph to prove it.

It is very common in liturgical art for a martyr to carry the instrument of their death. Saint Paul was beheaded and, being a citizen of the Roman Empire, his execution was carried out by the sword. Thus, St. Paul is very often depicted holding a book in one hand representing the letters he wrote and a sword in the other.

If we look at a detail of the hand in question, you'll see what I mean:


Does anyone know of a picture from days gone by gone in which St. Paul is visible in which a sword is visible?

If someone knows that he did, indeed, have a sword at one time, do you know what became of it and when?

Send out the word on this one, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment