15 April 2008

Decisions, decisions

Ordinarily I quite dislike crowds, and that's putting it mildly. At least I don't like crowds in the U.S.; in Rome they don't seem to bother me so much, but they're also easier to navigate through. I don't know why.

The greater the number of people in one place the greater the level of complete disregard for the other person. Experience has proven this time and time again. Ever been at the store very clearly looking at an item on the shelf in front of you (with space between you and the item so you can actually see it and the other brands) only to have someone park their cart directly between you and the item you're looking at, with no word of apology or excuse? I can't stand that (and that's putting that mildly, too).

I know that tomorrow will not be much different than any other day in this regard. People are human and humans are sinful and, as much as I wish they would and know they are capable, a great many people today simply do not think (at least about much other than themselves). A lot of the world's frustrations could be solved if people would just think a little bit more.

(All this being said, if you read my blog and happen to recognize me in the next few days, do come and say, "Hello." And a bit more if you like).

Am I pessimist? No. An optimist? Not really. A realist? I think so. Is the glass half-full or half-empty? Half-empty, that it might be filled again.

I know the crowds tomorrow will drive me crazy and irritate me greatly, but strangely enough I'm rather excited about the prospect of sitting outside on the sidewalk for four hours waiting to watch the Supreme Pontiff roll by.

So far as I can tell, I have two major decisions to make tomorrow? First, do I head to the White House to see the Pope and the President on the south lawn? Two, which street and which sidewalk do I park myself on for the Popemobile route?

If you're in the area or in the "know" and have any suggestions or thoughts on these two matters, I'd be very happy to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment