02 July 2006

We're off to see the King


After Mass later this morning a friend and I will be heading for the city - my first time since returning to the Liturgical Institute - to see the exhibit "Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs" at the Field Museum in Chicago.

I remember fondly as a boy of some twelve years of age or so - and for some years afterward - reading quite a bit about this young Pharaoh. I was fascinated by him, as I was by all things of the ancient world, be they Egyptian, Greek, Roman or other. The sheer beauty of ancient Egyptian artwork alone was enough to entrance me then, and still it does today. The tremendous history attached t these cultures only added to my wonder and awe.

Of all of the artificacts on display in this exhibit that returns to the United States some thirty years after its initial showing, now with consierably more artifacts, I am most looking forward to seeing the throne of Tutankhamun.

This promises to be a most exciting day!

No comments:

Post a Comment