04 June 2016

Ecclesiastical footwear

For as long as I can remember I have disliked shoes rather strongly and have often said they must have come from the devil. Whenever I enter my office and sit at my desk, the first thing I do is kick off my shoes. Sometimes I wonder if the only drawback of the diocesan or secular priesthood - as opposed to the religious priesthood - is that sandals and flip-flips are not generally acceptable footwear with the cassock or black suit, though they are often acceptable - at least - with the religious habit.

Yesterday, the English section of Vatican Radio posted a few recent photographs of His Holiness Benedict XVI on its Facebook. What most struck me about the photographs is what the Pope Emeritus wore on his feet:


If the Pope Emeritus can wear sandals with his cassock, can I wear sandals with mine? Admittedly, I do not really like that style of sandal, nor do I think socks should be worn with sandals. Still, sandals are much more comfortable than shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment