10 June 2014

Middle-earth in medieval illumination?

A few days ago a friend shared with me a link to an intriguing collection of images of medieval-style Tolkien illustrations painted by an iconographer.

As I first looked at the images, I was not certain what to make of them. It seemed to me that the first couple were painted in rather an exaggerated medieval style, especially the death of Boromir, the more images I saw, the more I enjoyed them.

Of all of the images, I have difficulty in choosing a favorite, going back and forth between a depiction of a bard signing the tale of Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom in the hall of King Elessar:


and a depiction of the Council of Elrond:


Go have a look. Which paintings do you most enjoy?

1 comment:

  1. I love that the inscriptions are in Latin.

    ReplyDelete