25 August 2011

Of jet lag and oceans

It is an irritating thing, jet lag.

Two days in a row now I have been exhausted by 9:00 p.m. and have awoken at 3:00 a.m., wide awake and ready to go.  The difficulty is that while my body was largely recovered a couple of days ago, my mind is still catching up.

I thought I was in good shape Wednesday morning.  That is, until I went to put on my shoes to go into the office.  I was certain that my right shoe belonged on my left foot and it took some time before I realized why it was working.  Then I knew I was in trouble.

Yesterday my mental faculties were much improved, but still not in such a state as to make any real decisions or plans.  Today, I think my intellectual capabilities are up to speed.  Now if only I could correct my sleep cycle.

There seems to be someting in flying westward over the Atlantic Ocean; returning from Europe nearly always wipes me out, but going to Europe doesn't effect me nearly so much.  Curiously, flying east or west across the Pacific Ocean does not seem to effect nearly as badly, either.  Might there be a reason for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment