14 May 2008

To raise one's head?

Yesterday morning as I walked to the high school to speak with one of our teachers, I was “greeted” by one of our high students as we walked toward each other. The greeting I received from him was the now common raise-of-the-head-in-your-direction.

This acknowledgment of the presence of another has been with us for some time now. I remember its use when I was in high school – it may have originated well before my time – but even then it was a form of greeting I simply couldn’t bring myself to use; nor can I now.

I can understand not wanting to stop and have a conversation with another person, either because of attendant duties or, in this case, tiredness. Yet to raise your head toward another person seems to me a very arrogant expression (by saying this I certainly don’t mean to imply that I am without arrogance, nor do I intend anything against this particular student).

To raise one’s head toward another person is to look down upon them. In some way it says, “I’m more important than you,” even if this is not the intention of the one who raises his or her head.

It seems to me that a much better form of greeting is to lower your head toward another person, a nod of the head. It is a form of deference to another and seems more Christian, and more civil.

What are your thoughts? Does this bother anyone else or do I simply think too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment