29 May 2008

I like my life

Some days life is fairly miserable, most days it isn't bad, and some days life is simply great! Today is one of those latter days.

I took a little walk to the travel agent (both because it is gorgeous out and to start getting "in shape" for the pilgrimage) who has been helping us with some of the preparations for the World Youth Day 2008 in Sydney. My primary purpose was to confirm with her the hotel reserverations and vehicle rentals, all of which, I'm happy to say, are in order.

After checking on the status of the group I posed a personal question to her. Our return flight from Sydney to Chicago is slated for a short layover in Honolulu before leaving for the Windy City. That would make for something like tweny-four hours in a plane over a thirty hour period. Frankly, that is something I cannot do.

My recent return from Rome showed me that age and arthritis (primarily arthritis) is catching up to me. The eight hour or so flight from the Eternal City to St. Louis through New York was about all that my frail constitution could do. Little more strength do I think I can muster and twenty-some hours would be impossible.

I've been pondering this situation for some months now and today decided to ask about the possibility of my remaining in Honolulu for a few days while still sending my pilgrims - who are stronger than I - to Chicago as scheduled.

The travel agent called the airline and arranged one spectacular bargain: 5 nights in Honolulu for $45.00! Somebody likes me :)

What a nice gift on this, the third anniversary of my first Mass of Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment