02 January 2016

New Year's Eve in Hawaii

In the days leading up to New Year's Eve, many of my friends here in Honolulu told me that no one in these United States of America celebrates the beginning of the new year like the Hawaiians, whether natives (those with Hawaiian blood) of locals (those without Hawaiian but who live in the islands). This being my first time in Hawaii at the end of one year and the beginning of another, I could only take their word for it.

A college friend who is from Waipahu - a town in the center of Oahu - invited me to celebrate New Year's Eve with his family and a few of their friends. It was a simple and enjoyable affair as is celebrated elsewhere, with one notable exception, as can be seen in this video shared on Twitter (Blogger still hasn't resolved the problem with the embedding feature) by someone else who was in Waipahu.

Clearly, my other friends in Honolulu were right. I've not seen such a wide spread of fireworks lighting up the sky even on Independence Day.

Because of the many fireworks, driving from Honolulu to Waipahu was something of an adventure. With the many homes in the valleys of the island, many of the fireworks lit the sky at about eye level as I drove on the freeways. I was a bit startled the first time it happened, but after that it provided plenty to look as I drove along.

No comments:

Post a Comment