21 July 2015

Fr. Robert Barron named Auxiliary Bishop of Los Angeles

Today the Holy Father Pope Francis named three Auxiliary Bishops for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. Two of the Bishops-elect are priests of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Monsignors Joseph V. Brennan and David G. O'Connell. A third Bishop-Elect, however, is a priest of the Archdiocese of Chicago, Father Robert E. Barron, Rector of Mundelein Seminary and founder of Word on Fire.

A media savvy man of great intellect, energy, and enthusiasm, Bishop-elect Barron is a great preacher and witness of the Catholic faith to the culture through his popular YouTube videos and through his Catholicism series. His is a clear and consistent voice seeking to demonstrate the reasonableness of the faith.

The appointment of Bishop-elect Barron to Los Angeles came as quite a surprise to me. I first learned of the appointment this morning after providing a Roman restaurant recommendation to a friend. I opened Twitter on my iPad and saw this tweet at the top of my feed:
I looked at the man on the left and thought, "Is that Bob Barron?" The picture looks like him, but it's a very poor photograph. After checking the daily bulletin from the Holy See, I learned it is indeed him.

Having been a student of Bishop-elect Barron when I studied at Mundelein Seminary, I am particularly pleased with his appointment and look forward to seeing how he presents the faith to the people of the City of Angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment