10 September 2013

All is ready for the pilgrimage

This morning I set out for the Piazza di San Calisto to collect my bag and badge for this weekend's International Pilgrimage of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem to Rome for the Year of Faith proclaimed by His Holiness Benedict XVI.

Since my registration was made only late last week, I did have some concern as to whether or not everything would be ready upon my arrival and was very happy to find that indeed it was.

The bag provided for the pilgrimage is simple, yet should be useful for carrying papers and books, an iPad (a laptop might be too heavy) or, thinking like a priest, an amice, alb, cincture, and stole (and perhaps a surplice and mozetta).

The pilgrimage book is very helpful with a letter of welcome from His Eminence Edwin Cardinal O'Brien, Grand Master of the Order; an introduction about Christian pilgrimages to the Eternal City; the text of the Pope Emeritus' Apostolic Letter Porta Fidei; a brief write-up about the four Papal Basilicas; the text of the Creed and the texts for the various Masses; and two prayers particular to the Order.

One of the happy things about living in Rome is that you are always noticing something new, an unexpected sight here and a surprise there.  As I walked along this morning an inscription above a door caught my attention:

You alone are Lord.
This is a good reminder for us everyday; Rome is filled with such reminders.

In the vicinity of the Piazza di San Calisto a sign outside of a restaurant caught my attention, not so much as a spiritual reminder but as a good bit of humor:


I may have to give this place a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment