02 July 2009

A pleasant lunch hour

The Pastor and his father left yesterday for a week of vacation with the rest of their family in one of the northern states. Yesterday also saw the return of a retired priest who is retired in Denver and celebrates this year his Golden Jubilee as a priest.

This son of the parish returns every summer for four weeks or so and offers his kind and generous assistance to us. He is always most welcome and brings with him a good dose of light-hearted humor.

This morning he mentioned that one of his classmates would be speaking downtown over the lunch hour at the rally for Trails Recreation Effingham County and he invited me to join him. Not only would the three-block walk give both of us a bit of exercise but, he said a great smile forming on his face, they would be serving free hot dogs. I could help but chuckle at this bit of child-like enjoyment and happily joined him.

Congressman John Schimkus was on hand to announce a hefty federal grant for the project to create a biking and walking trail between Effingham and Teutopolis.

After the speeches were concluded I visited with the Congressman and his staff, particularly to see if the 19th District included Virden. At the moment it does not, though it did some years ago; they are hopeful it will be returned to the 19th District. Apparently the Congressman for the district in which I will soon be residing is not of the same mind as Mr. Schimkus on many important issues, a bit of information I was unhappy to receive.

Both the Congressman and his staff thanked me – and through me, the Catholic Church – for our great efforts for the Pro-Life movement; I thanked the Congressman and his staff for their support of us.

Afterwards I visited with a few other people for a good length of time, most discussing my coming move and the effect it will have on many people with whom I have become rather close and most fond of, and on me personally.

It was a very good afternoon and I am glad I was talked into going for a hot dog. Ah, the simple things in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment