09 July 2009

My weakness

This morning one of our recent graduates met with me to learn how to pray the Liturgy of the Hours. As we talked he mentioned he also wanted to purchase a Daily Roman Missal and since both of us were free we took a trip to Springfield to The Marian Center to get one. (They used to have a web site but a Google search didn't seem to bring it up.)

As luck would have it, they were out of the missal we wanted, though more are on the way. Even so, the trip wasn't worthless because books and I have always gotten along rather well. I can't say that I've ever been to a used book store I haven't liked. Or a new book store, for that matter.

Since I am soon to be the pastor of a parish dedicated to the Sacred Heart, I picked up a book on devotions to the Sacred Heart and a book of the letters of St. Margaret Mary. I also picked up a commentary on the Confessions of St. Patrick since I am to be Pastor of a parish dedicated to him. And since this is the Year for Priests under the patronage of St. John Vianney, I picked up a biography of him. I think I picked up another book, too, but I've left them in the car and I don't feel like collecting them at the moment. If you're interested in the titles I'll post them tomorrow.

It was a good trip and - in addition to getting several good books - I was able to meet one of the parishioners from Virden who recognized me. It also gave me and this graduate - whom I'm happy to also call a friend - a good visit before he leaves for college and I leave for my pastorates. Quiet summer days are filled with many blessings.

When we returned to Effingham I went for a quick swim before a wedding rehearsal in Altamont. This evening I finished up a bulletin column and I'll soon be emptying out my e-mail inboxes before calling it a day.

I would also like to ask your prayers for one of our high school students with whom I had a good conversation this evening. I won't give any details but please raise a few prayers to the Lord; he knows who he is. Also, please ask St. John Bosco to intercede for me so that I may the words to speak at the right moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment