22 July 2009

A day to rest

The Papal Nuncio to the United States, the Most Reverend Pietro Sambi, will install the Most Reverend George J. Lucas as the fifth Archbishop of Omaha this afternoon at 2:00 p.m. (3:oo p.m. Eastern) in the Cathedral of St. Cecilia.

The Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) will air the Mass of Installation live. I will be watching it. Will you?

I had planned to be in Omaha for today's celebrations following the TEC retreat in Quincy this past weekend. Quincy is almost half-way between Effingham and Omaha and so it seemed a logical conclusion.

There was, though, one little detail I failed to consider before leaving for Quincy on Friday morning: tickets to the celebrations. They arrived in Effingham either Friday or Saturday.

Not wanting to make a four-drive to Effingham only to turn around for a nine-hour drive to Omaha, I decided simply to return to Effingham. This also saved a parent the drive to Quincy and back.

This morning I am especially glad I did not go to Omaha, not because I do not want to be there to support Archbishop Lucas but because I simply lack the stamina for public appearances today.

I awoke this morning from what feels more like a nine-hour nap than a full night's sleep. Today I will continue to rest and stay in hiding, as it were, working on correspondence when my mind is able to do so. Retreating, driving and misty days make for one tired little priest.

Even so, today feels like a great day for gelato. If only it weren't ninety minutes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment