03 June 2009

The eminent and humble teacher

Pope Benedict's love of teacher - and his great gift for it - is no secret. One might well say that he is a teacher.

He has shown this over the years through his numerous books, homilies and addresses and, as the Bishop of Rome, in his many Q&A sessions, with children, young adults and priests.

The Holy Father recently spoke again with a group of children, taking three questions from them and giving impromptu answers. Sandro Magister provides us with the text and a good commentary.

Letizia asked Pope Benedict if, when he was a boy, if he ever thought about becoming Pope. His answer reveals his humble heart:
And I must say that even today, it is hard for me to understand how the
Lord could have thought of me, how he could have destined me for this ministry.
But I accept it from his hands, even if it is a surprising thing and seems to me
to be far beyond my power. But the Lord helps me.

No comments:

Post a Comment