27 March 2013

Spy Wednesday

The Wednesday of Holy Week is often called Spy Wednesday because of the passage of the Passion that we hear today at the Holy Mass:
One of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you" (Matthew 26:14-15).
We sometimes wonder how Judas could betray and sell Jesus for such a small sum, but we forget that we often do the very same (though not always for financial gain).

In his little book On the Passion of Christ According to the Four Evangelists, Thomas a Kempis prayed:
Alas!  How poorly I tolerate a brother when he has said or done something against me.  But you, for so long a time and without complaint, have endured your disciple Judas, who would soon sell and betray you, while I, for a paltry insult, quickly yield to anger and think of various ways of vindicating myself or of offering excuses.  Where then is my patience, where is my meekness?
Help me, good Jesus, and instill the virtue of your meekness in my heart in greater abundance, for without your inspiration and special grace I cannot enjoy peace of soul amid this life's many vexations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment