17 January 2007

The saints are with us

The other day I was called away to the nursing home because a resident had just died. The deceased was a Catholic but not one of our parishioner and so I didn’t recognize the name.

The deceased’s daughter and her husband were in the room. After I prayed the Prayers for the Dead with them, the daughter shared a beautiful story with me.

We know that “all the ties of friendship and affection which knit us as one throughout our lives do not unravel with death” (Vigil for the Deceased, 71). This was made very clear to the daughter.

Her father died several years ago and before he did, the daughter promised him that she would take care of her mom. The day before her mom died, the daughter heard a voice that said:

It’s Dad. I’ll take charge of Mom now.

No comments:

Post a Comment