19 January 2007

Lukan listeners

Monday I promised an update on the Scripture Study at our mission parish; here it is:

I am very happy to say that the first night went very well. Nearly all of the fifty-one participants were able to be present. We even had an unexpected visitor: a church mouse! I had never seen one before. He ran around the church basement causing good hearted laughts and a pleasant distraction now and again.

At the end of the lesson on the person of Saint Luke I asked the group how they wanted to proceed. I even suggested the possibility of breaking up into small groups from time to time, thinking they might enjoy this.

The decision of the group was unanimous: "You just talk Father, we love to listen to you talk," was their response. I was rather shocked at this. It's not every day that people ask me to keep talking. Usually they ask me to pipe down! In high school and college my family always joked about getting me a t-shirt that reads, "Help! I'm talking and I can't shut up!"

I am grateful for the support and encouragement of the group. The next five meetings will be delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment