24 August 2008

Homily on Blessed Marianne Cope

One of Blessed Father Damien's closest collaborators in his ministry at the leper colony of Kalawao was Blessed Marianne Cope.

She was beatified on the Vigil of Pentecost in Rome at St. Peter's Basilica. The Mass of Beatification was celebrated by Jose Saraiva Cardinal Martins.

In his homily he called Mother Marianne "a true Franciscan" because "she left everything, and abandoned herself completely to the will of God, to the call of the Church and to the demands of her new brothers and sisters."

His Emminence recalled a very profound statement of Mother Marianne: "I do not expect a high place in heaven. I will be very grateful to have a little corner where I can love God for all eternity."

I desire nothing more.
The Shrine and Museum of Blessed Marianne Cope has a page of quotes from Blessed Marianne. It also has a chasuble and cane that belonged to Father Damien. It looks like I now have to make my way to Syracuse, New York...

No comments:

Post a Comment