21 August 2008

Traditio

The word "tradition" comes from the Latin traditio, meaning "to hand on."

This morning I was able to hand on a practical gem to the servers relating to things liturgical.

I have always been both practical [when first typing "practical" I missed the first "c" and spell check suggested "piratical;" that might also fit] and cautious, which is often a good combination, but not always.

When I first learned to serve Mass back in fifth grade there were two things that I did not want to do: carry the processional crucifix (which was at least twice my height) and light the candles.

Being cautious by nature, I was always worried about burning my thumb as I attempted (ever in vain) to light a match by striking it along that little strip of whatever it is on the back of the match booklet. (For this same reason I don't use cigarette lighters.)

Observing me one day, my Pastor, Fr. John, of whom I cannot speak highly enough, taught me a little trick about lighting matches. It was this trick I handed on this morning; a little traditio in action (albeit with a small "t").

The trick is this: fold the cover of the match booklet over so that you can place a match in between the striking strip and the cover. like a little sandwich. Press the three together and pull the match out. Voila! One easily lit match without any burns or fear of them whatever. It's very handy, though I doubt many moms would appreciate me sharing this. I did mention that this morning to the boys. Oh, they liked the trick.

But that's part of the joy of serving, isn't it? At church you get to do what you don't always get to do at home, like playing with fire.

The boys then laughed at me a bit as they saw my attempt to leave their sacristy for the priests', not once but three times. First, I forgot my paper with a little note for the homily (which you'll see momentarily). Second, I forgot to grab the chasuble I used at the nursing home yesterday which needed to be put away. Third, I forgot my little glass of water that I need half-way through Mass because of these nasty allergies. They're getting better, but still. If the day keeps on like this, it's going to be a long one!

And now, a thought for the day, from the Saint of the Day, Pope Saint Pius X:

Holy Communion is the shortest and safest way to heaven. There are others: innocence, but that is for little children; penance, but we are afraid of it; generous endurance of trials of life, but when they come we weep and ask to be spared. The surest, easiest, shortest way is the Eucharist.

No comments:

Post a Comment