20 August 2008

On priestly joys

One of the great joys of a priest is hearing confessions and absolving sins in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Just a few days ago I heard the confession of someone who had been away from the Church for a very long time. The tears of such a penitent bring joy to a priest because he is able to impart the Lord's forgiveness and reconcile the penitent. This is why the Sacrament of Penance is the priest's second primary duty after the celebration of the Holy Mass.

Sadly, confessions are heard on a "scheduled" basis only to rarely in most parishes these days, most typically being heard on a Saturday afternoon when very few people can actually come.

This raises an interesting question: what would be an ideal regularly scheduled time for a priest to hear confessions? What "works best" for people's schedules today? (I really would like serious suggestions for this.)

Out on the soccer field conversations range from the very holy to the rather profane and everything in between, as often happens with high school boys. Today was no different.

Somehow the topic of confession entered the conversation (it often does) and I had to remind the players that if they want to go to confession all they have to do is call for an anonymous appointment (most of them cannot come on Saturday afternoons). Simply ask a priest to meet you in the confessional on a certain day at a certain time; you don't even have to give your name (you could also have somebody else call for you). I'll even be sure to be in the confessional ten minutes early so you can really confess anonymously if you wish.

I also had to remind them of something perhaps more important about the Sacrament of Penance, something of which many people today seem rather unaware. I reminded them that if they even need to go to Confession and they see me (on the soccer field, for example, or in the grocery store, or on a sidewalk, etc.) all they have to do is ask me to hear their confession. I - and all priests - am bound by Canon Law to hear their confession, then and there, unless a justifiable reason should prevent me (such as a necessary visit to the hospital or some other truly serious reason [such as a player trying to avoid running a few laps]).

Of course, when ever someone goes to the hospital they should also ask to go to Confession, either before entering the hospital or while there. Sins should also be confessed during the Anointing of the Sick.

This brings me to a second joy of a priest, one that I received this evening.

I went to the hospital this evening to visit a patient in the ICU. I was able to give her the apostolic pardon for the dying.

There are two possible formulae a priest may use to give this pardon:

Through the holy mysteries of our redemption, may almighty God release you from all punishments in this life and in the life to come. May he open to you the gates of paradise and welcome you to everlasting joy;
or,

By the authority which the Apostolic See has given me, I grant you a full pardon and the remission of all your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
I have only had th occassion to give the apostolic pardon on a few occassions.

Too often families wait too long to call for a priest. It is never too early to call. I would rather visit a person seventeen times before a person is on the verge of death than arrive too late to give the pardon, to hear their confession or to give then Viaticum.

No comments:

Post a Comment